Mallow County councilors have welcomed the decision to delist the former, long-abandoned Central Hotel.
They have now expressed their hopes that the site can now be developed.
The downtown site has been vacant since the old hotel closed in 2007, and it has suffered five fires in the years since, becoming increasingly dilapidated and dangerous.
The building’s status as a listed building had meant that despite fire damage it could not be demolished, and the decision to delist the building has now removed this barrier to future development.
The proposal to remove the old hotel from the list was raised last Friday at County Hall by Fianna Fáil councilor Pat Hayes during a meeting to discuss Cork County Council’s draft development plan, and Councilors gave unanimous support to this decision.
Describing the decision as “a huge step forward for Mallow and a very positive development for the town”, Councilor Hayes told Monday’s Kanturk/Mallow Municipal District meeting that the work of council staff and colleagues advisers to have the building removed from the list would be of great help to the region.
“This is a critically important site and it is vitally important that new development there enhances its architectural value to Mallow,” he said.
The former Central Hotel site was purchased earlier this year for an undisclosed sum by local property developer Pat Shine.
It is believed he had submitted proposed development plans to Cork County Council, with the intention of submitting a planning application in the new year.
It is understood that Mr Shine’s plans include a proposal for the site to include a hotel with a rooftop restaurant overlooking Mallow Town Park, as well as a number of ground floor retail units. causeway facing Davis Street.
Fine Gael Councilor Tony O’Shea said it was imperative the building was delisted to allow redevelopment of the site.
“This building was an eyesore in the middle of Mallow Town for many years, and has been burnt and damaged during this time, only a shell of the old building remains,” he said. .
Fianna Fáil councilor Gearóid Murphy said while some people may have wished the existing building was allowed to remain, its damaged and unsafe condition meant demolition was the only viable option.